Saturday 14 December 2013

The 12 Films of Christmas: Gremlins (1984)

By Thomas Broome-Jones

 Next on our Christmas agenda is a film that I enjoy watching with my family on a regular Holiday basis, Gremlins.

Dobby fell on hard times after being given his freedom.
Directed by Joe Dante and written by Chris Columbus of Harry Potter fame, as well as executive producer Steven Spielberg of...well, Steven Spielberg fame, comes this pretty dark horror comedy film that sees adorable fuzzy creatures known as mogwais turn into pure evil gremlins if they are fed after midnight.

I'm sure you all know the premise, this is one of my favourite Christmas films because of how fun it is. The Gremlins may kill people and commit all manner of horrendous disturbances of the peace, but they go about it in such a comic manner that can't help but laugh. The charm of the set pieces and snappy screenwriting make this enjoyable for the whole family.

Despite being a pretty sinister picture and a legit horror film, I watched this when I was a kid and loved it. It's definitely something kids will enjoy and I can't recommend it enough. Essential Christmas viewing that will get you in the festive spirit, guaranteed!


















Thomas Broome-Jones is on Twitter, you can follow him @TBroomey.

No comments:

Post a Comment